YOU are in luck, we have scanned infinite number of blog posts and travel advisories to bring you the most comprehensive list of tips to manage your travel better. They are categorised under five headings. Travel booking, Saving money, Managing airport blues, Travel Packing and Other travel tips. Ignore these travel tips at your peril!
1. Use a private or incognito window when booking flights and hotels online :- All airline and hotel search engine have a very sophisticated algorithmn, which jacks up the price, on the basis of multiple queries received from the same IP address for a particular route
2. Wait to buy airline tickets until 3 p.m. on Tuesdays:- Typically this is when the big Airlines reduce their fares in order to compete with the discount airlines like Southwest and JetBlue. If you’re looking to save some money, this is the time to buy.
3. Check out airbnb.com :- Easily the next big thing when it comes to accomodation! Breathtaking views from a variety of properties, central locations, fully equipped kitchen, comfortable beds at ridiculously low prices when compared to full service hotel in the same location. They have listings from every corner of the world. Ever wanted to rent an island? At airbnb, you can.
4. Don’t prebook local/short distance transfers :- This may not sound right to those who like to plan everything. But believe me, when I say that on spot transfers are way cheaper than pre-booked ones. Also you discover interesting ways to commute and expose yourself to real joys of travelling. As we always say, “Having a ride back home is security, not having a ride back home is an adventure”
5. Take multiple travel quotes :- If you like, take assistance of a travel agent to take care of your bookings. First finalise your itinerary, including preferred places of stay and then take quotes from multiple agencies. This will make sure that you are not taken for a ride. Paying commission for agency services is okay but it has to be reasonable. You are spending with them to save yourself the hassle, not increase it!
6. Rent an automatic car :- If you have to drive on a different side of the road while you are travelling, it is better to take an automatic car. It may be little expensive but it will save the horror of striking same hand and foot coordination, which you have been practising but with the other side of your body.
1. Never use airport currency exchanges:- Use ATMs instead or credit card depending on the exchange rate given by your bank.
2. While renting a car, avoid taking GPS:- In place of it, take a local data plan for your tablet or mobile and use google maps to navigate.
3. At no cost, use international roaming for data plans:- There is nothing that burns money faster than this. Use free wifi, wherever possible. Get free WiFi at airports, some hotels, you also get the WiFi passwords for many establishments by checking the comments section of FourSquare.
4. Get a free cell phone charger:- Don’t fret, if you have forgotten your charger at home. Often, hotel front desks will have a box full of chargers left by previous guests. All you have to do is ask.
5. Check out airbnb.com again:- It jus takes five minutes to list your house on rent, while you are holidaying. Depending on the demand, you can be selective of who do you want to rent it to and at what price.
6. Carry some snacks at all times:- They go a long way in satisfying those hunger pangs, which can prove fatal to your pocket, in an untimely event where you have limited options.
7. Travel with friends:- Don’t do it only to save money. Its also fun to travel with group of friends or another couple, especially if you are going on a safari or an adventure trip. Transfer costs, food costs all get optimised to great extent!
8. Travel in shoulder season:- Plan your trip, just after the peak season. You would be shocked to see discounts ranging from 15% to 40% and the weather is not going to change in one day. Be smart and save money. Many people think off season starts with a particular date, you should be wise enough to make it work in your favor!
9. Look for corporate discounts:- It is high time that you call your friend working in a bank or a large corporate and ask him to check for corporate negotiated rates at your next destination. These rates are generally 30-40% lower than rack rates and employees are allowed to avail them for their personal usage. Works out well for everyone! The benefits of networking are obvious.
1. Keep loose chargers and cables organized with a glasses case.
2. Use straws to carry travel-size amounts of skin care products.
3. Put a dryer sheet at the bottom of a suitcase to keep your clothes smelling fresh.
1. Scan important documents like passport, flight tickets, hotel bookings etc before leaving for your trip. In the event of theft or misplacement, it comes in really handy to access them on your smartphone or tablet.
3. On your last day in a foreign country, collect all your loose money and give it to the homeless.
4. When reserving airline seats for 2 people, get the aisle and window. You may get lucky to have full row to yourself, if the flight is not full.
5. If you forget your wall plug, charge devices through the USB slot on a TV.